October is National Women’s Affairs Month
Join the City of Cambridge in celebrating National Women’s Business Month in October to recognize the achievements and importance of women-owned businesses and the positive impact they have on local communities and the economy.
City sponsored events, workshops and networking opportunities will take place throughout the month to provide resources for small business owners and entrepreneurs. Community members can join in the celebration by supporting women-owned businesses and other entrepreneurs during the month of October and beyond.
National Women’s Affairs Month will include the following events sponsored by the City. In addition to city events, many professional associations and women-owned businesses in Cambridge organize their own events or have special promotions.
Tuesday, October 5
City of Cambridge Women’s Business Month Launch Event, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Location: Vester CafÃ©, 73, rue Ames
- Connect with city representatives, regional partners and other small business owners at the Cambridge Women’s Business Month Kickoff Event. Free for Cambridge businesses. Space is limited. Registration is compulsory. Click here to join.
Wednesday October 13
Designing Beautiful Content: A Guide for Women-Owned Businesses, 10:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Location: Online.
- Learn how to support your message and copy with great visual design when you don’t have the time or the ability to work with a designer. Basic design principles and best practices, such as creating a visual hierarchy to convey your message, using colors effectively, matching fonts, and selecting the best images for your content will be covered. . Free online tools will be shared. This workshop is led by Niki Blaker of Five Sigma Studio and is part of a series of regular workshops organized by the Economic Development Division. Registration is compulsory. Free for Cambridge residents and business owners. $ 10 for Cambridge non-participants. For more information, please contact Rona Abrahams at [email protected]
Thursday October 14
Second Thursday in Inman Square, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Location: East Cambridge Savings Bank Parking Lot, 1310 Cambridge St.
- Celebrate Women’s Business Month in Inman Square! Take the self-guided ‘Mapping Feminist Cambridge Inman Square’ tour, listen to live music, and stop at the Pop-Up Market showcasing women-owned Cambridge businesses such as Soaper Her Girl, Ninawa Zero Waste Clothes, Ms. Bonafide Creations , Nussli 118, and others. Free for all. All ages are welcome.
Monday, October 18
How to Do Business with the City of Cambridge Workshop, 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Location: Online via Zoom.
- Take part in this workshop to learn more about how to do business with the City. Items covered include how to become a supplier, how to respond to a request for quotation, and how to respond to an offer. This workshop is free for Cambridge businesses. Registration is compulsory. Click here to join.
Thursday October 28
Second Careers & Side Gigs – Businesswomen of All Ages and All Stages, 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Location: Online via Zoom.
- Take part in this seminar to hear from women entrepreneurs who have started a business after leaving a first career or in parallel with an existing one. This seminar features a panel of speakers from various business owners from various industries and will include the possibility of small breakout rooms to ask questions and engage directly with attendees. Speakers include:
– Rosi Amador, Amador Bilingual Voice Over and Sol y Canto
– Sarah Dudek, SarahDudekDesign
– Elaine Hsieh, EHColatier
And more to come!
This seminar is free for residents and businesses of Cambridge. Registration is compulsory. Click here to join.
- Recognize the contributions of women entrepreneurs
Cambridge Public Library has compiled a special reading list to celebrate National Women’s Affairs Month. You can find out more and see the playlist, here.
Friday October 1
Cambridge Local First and Abroad Modern National Women’s Business Month Celebration, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Opportunity in Starlight Square
- Location: Starlight square, central square
- The Central Square BID shines the spotlight on women’s businesses at their Pop-up market currently in Starlight Square. Take a look at this short video for an introduction to Popportunity saleswomen (video coming soon).
For more information
Please contact Christina DiLisio at [email protected] or 617-349-4601 with any questions.